Next Sunday after morning service, Rev. Wier will administer sacrament of the Lord supper. This is the first ceremony of this kind performed by Rev. Wier, as he was only ordained at the last conference at Baton Rouge. Laf. Adv. 1/5/1901.
Rev. John A. Miller, presiding elder of this district in the Methodist church during the past four years, and who, all the while has had his home among us, preaching his farewell sermon here last Sunday. At the recent conference he was assigned to Ruston in the Northern part of the State, which by the way is a very important appointment. It is second to none in the state outside of New Orleans. Ruston is on the Vicksburg and Shreveport railroad and besides the fact of its being one of our most thriving town, it enjoys the distinction of being an educational centre. Lafayette Advertiser 1/6/1894.
Rev. John A. Miller, presiding elder of this district in the Methodist church during the past four years, and who, all the while has had his home among us, preaching his farewell sermon here last Sunday. At the recent conference he was assigned to Ruston in the Northern part of the State, which by the way is a very important appointment. It is second to none in the state outside of New Orleans. Ruston is on the Vicksburg and Shreveport railroad and besides the fact of its being one of our most thriving towns, it enjoys the distinction of being an educational centre. Lafayette Advertiser 1/6/1894.
Mr. C. E. McDonald of Bastrop, La., who two years since was in charge of the Methodist church here, was in town during the week greeting his friends. Mr. McDonald, we hear has gone back to his first love, the practice of the law, and is located in the first named place. Lafayette Advertiser 1/6/1894.
Letter From Rev. H. Armstrong.
The Gazette was pleased to receive the following letter from Rev. H. Armstrong, who is well and favorably known by the people of Lafayette, where he has many friends who will be glad to hear from him. We do not know if the letter was intended for publication, but feeling confident that it will be read with pleasure and interest by a number of our readers we take the liberty to publish it :
Dear Gazette - As I am now stationed in Franklin, and as you were a regular and welcome visitor to my humble home in Lafayette during the past year, I take this method of returning thanks for the favor.
This is a nice town, and there are evidences on every hand of wealth, refinement and prosperity. Notwithstanding His Excellency Governor Foster, and the Hon. Don Caffery, our United States Senator, have left us for a time, at least, the town still lives and grows. Boats, large and small ply the Teche, and the elegant saw mills seem to be in a race with each other, and the sugar refineries equal to any in the world, are adjacent to the town, and are literally sweetening the town and country in every direction. Enterprise and push seem to characterize our people. There is only one obstacle in the way that I can see, to great prosperity, and that is the want of good schools for everybody. This prevents immigration here; it prevents it in Lafayette, and it will prevent it everywhere. Hope The Gazette will take a bold and uncompromising stand for the right. It will pay in the end. Advocate temperance and advocate the immigration of American people among you. Fight along these lines, and victory will perch upon your banner. Long live The Gazette.
Jan. 3, 1893.
Lafayette Gazette 1/6/1894.
Dedication Exercises Conducted by Bishop Hendricks.
Rev. I. T. Reams' Success of his Two Years' Pastorate.
[From the N. O. Daily Picayune.]
LAFAYETTE, LA., Jan. 5 -- Bishop R. E. Hendricks to-day dedicated the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Lafayette. The bishop preached a most eloquent sermon from the text found in James 11, page 23, "And he was called the friend of God." The distinguished divine depicted the happy relation that existed between the ancient patriarch, Abraham, and God, and made a most affective application of the text to man's social, moral and intellectual relationships to-day.
After the sermon, the interesting and impressive ceremonies, incident to the formal dedication, were conducted by the bishop, Rev. Thos. F. Webb, president of the board of trustees, who transferred the sacred edifice to the Methodist Church of Louisiana, and Bishop Hendricks, on behalf of that body, accepted the property. A large and attentive congregation filled the church and witnessed the interesting services. A number of ministerial brethren were also present, among whom may be mentioned Revs. H. O. White, Jno. A. Miller and J. M. Johnson, former presiding elders of the church; Revs. B. F. White, R. A. Davis, J. M. Brown, H. Armstrong, T. S. Randle and M. C. Manley, former pastors. Other visiting ministers were: T. J. Upton, J. F. Patterson, J. L. Bronson, R. S. Isbell, Robt. Randle, S. H. Whatley, S. S. Holloway and Geo. Manotte.
The occasion was one long to be remembered and marks an era in the history of Methodism here, fraught with most encouraging prospects.
Rev. I. T. Reams, the pastor, was the recipient, to-day, of hearty congratulations on all sides over the success which has crowned the efforts of his two years' pastorate in Lafayette. Bishop Hendricks is one of the most prominent church dignitaries of his sect and has exercised his episcopal functions in many foreign countries, having held the China mission conference, at Shanghai, last year, the Japan conference and the Corean conference the same year. The bishop will go from here to Crowley and there preside over the annual conference of the Methodist church, to be convened t0-morrow at that place.
The Methodist church dedicated to-day is probably one of the handsomest and most substantial edifices if its kind in Southwest Louisiana. The structure is of Gothic design throughout, presenting an artistic appearance in its interior and exterior aspects. Several beautiful memorial windows add very much to the effect of the ornamental work and harmonize with the stained glass of other openings. Finished throughout, the building has a seating capacity of over three hundred, and is designed to accommodate the Sunday school classes as well as to afford a convenient study for the pastor. For many years the pastor the congregation occupied a small frame building erected about the year 1860, through the liberality of the late Gideon Stephens and others, but as the time grew apace the need of a larger house of worship was felt, and so last year, under the able and zealous administration of their pastor, Rev. I. T. Reams, the membership succeeded, after much labor and sacrifice, in completing the object of their heart's desire. The energy displayed by pastor and people certainly reflect much credit, and too much praise cannot be accorded Rev. Reams, who labored with hand and brain to push the enterprise to a successful issue. The ladies, under the style of the Ladies' Aid Society, did heroic work for the cause, and in fact, inaugurated the movement under the leadership of Mrs. T. S. Randle, who, in connection with her devoted husband, Rev. T. S. Randle, did so much to stimulate church work in Lafayette. The church is free of debt and the hearts of its member may justly swell with pride over the auspicious event this day recorded. Besides the completion of the church, Rev. Reams, the pastor has built and finished a neat and commodious parsonage, grounds for which were donated by Mrs. M. E. Girard, a faithful and life-long member of the church. During a comparatively short pastorate of two years, Rev. Reams has therefore accomplished material results worthy of note, and besides has administered to the spiritual welfare of his congregation in a most satisfactory manner. Under his zealous ministry the membership has been largely increased, and the cause of religion advanced along general lines. It is safe to say that the people of Lafayette and the congregation in particular will gladly welcome the re-appointment of a pastor under whose efficient management so much good has been accomplished. From the N. O. Picayune and in the Lafayette Gazette 1/8/1898.
From the Lafayette Advertiser of January 8th, 1898:
DEDICATION OF THE M. E. CHURCH SOUTH.
HISTORY OF THE BUILDING.
Bishop R. E. Hendrix, Officiating.
What Energy and Self-Denial Will Do.
On last Wednesday, at 1 p. m. the above church was dedicated by Bishop E. R. Hendrix.
The church was well filled by the elite of the town and the Pastor Rev. Isaac T. Reams may well feel proud of his popularity.
The present church was built in 1896 and is quite an ornament to the town. Its seating capacity is about 300 and cost about $1,800.00.
It was built upon the plans of Mr. Daily, architect of New Iberia.
Though the membership of this church is quite small, it is a consecrated little band of christians, having at heart the interests of the Master's Kingdom here on earth, and the result of the offerings and self-denial is seen in the beautiful structure of which they may feel well satisfied.
It is also noticeable that few outsiders go out of their means help this little band of christian Methodists in the erection of this church, but the bulk of the burden was borne loyally and devotedly by very few of the membership which numbers amongst its members, names who are recognized in this part of Louisiana, for their integrity, honesty and uprightedness.
Girard, Beraud, Tolson, Beadle, Singleton, Wallace, etc., etc., are household names in this part of Louisiana. Through the efforts of these, aided by their devoted, laborious, energetic and consecrated pastor, the Rev. I. T. Reams, the town ought to be grateful for the erection of such house of worship.
On the commodious rostrum of the church, were seated around the Bishop, Revs. B. F. White, R. A. Davis, J. M. Johnson, H. Armstrong, T. S. Randle, A. M. Brown, M. C. Manly, all former pastors of the church.
The Bishop, who is about 52 years old, is a man of imposing and commanding appearance, who speaks justly and fluently and who has the power to convince his hearers of the truths as found in the word of God. He preached a strong, forcible sermon from the Epistle of James, 2nd. Chapter, 23rd verse. "And he was called the friend of God."
We wish we could give a complete analysis of the beautiful discourse as delivered by the eminent diving of the Methodist Church, but we shall only attempt to give our readers the salient points.
Defining friendship the Bishop said, that common purposes in words, deeds or actions between two beings constituted true friendship. So was Abraham a friend to God. That unswerving faith to God as well as to man was the test of true friendship. That no friendships were formed in this world unless there was perfect faith between the parties. True friendship consisted also in being able of transplanting the faith, in other words to be as true and good friend to God abroad as we are at home. Abraham went North, East, West, South and in each place his faith was the same. The Bishop most emphatically asserted the need of men like Abraham, not only for the good of the Church, but also for the good and elevation of the human race. Obedience also was one of the requisites of true friendship. And then revelations from God to man in direct answers from prayers was the climax of true friendship. And then in God revealing Himself to men, a better knowledge of God could be had; and men had a greater power with the world, says the preacher, when they are were intimately acquainted with God. A great desire for anyone, and to be sought would be to have inscribed on our tombstone 'And he was called the friend of God.'
At the conclusion of the sermon the following Trustees of the Church viz: Rev. T. F. Webb, F. H. Gregory, Geo. Beadle, William Beadle and W. B. Torian presented the church to the Bishop for dedication. Then in a most impressive manner, the Bishop, read the simple service of dedication as contained in the Discipline of the M. E. Church, South, and the large congregation, was dismissed by Rev. B. F. White, Presiding Elder of the Debli District, who pronounced the benediction. Quite a number of visiting ministers, en route to Crowley to attend the Annual Conference were present to attend the services, amongst whom were Rev. H. O. White, the genial Presiding Elder of the Opelousas District in which this church is located.
This memento to the Methodist population of our City, would be incomplete without mentioning that last year the same band of plucky christians built a commodious parsonage for their pastor.
Here, the standby of the denomination in this section, Mrs. Girard, made a donation of a lot 100 x 200 feet, and with a part of the lumber from the old parsonage and new material, the pastor, Rev. Isaac T. Reams, imitating the example of His Master, who He himself was a carpenter, rolled up his sleeves and assisted by two other workmen, erected the residence which add to the beauty of our City.
This is what, pluck, energy, consecration, self-denial guided by a proper leader will accomplish in two years. Lafayette Advertiser 1/8/1898.
City Council 1/6/1902.
Moved and seconded that work outlined for running a water pipe line to the Methodist church corner and again from J. C. Nickerson's residence to the corporate limits on Sterling Avenue be laid at once, and that wire be run extending lights so as to furnish residences in upper end of McComb addition. Carried. Laf. Adv. 1/11/1902.
Extension of Water and Light Service - The Streets to Be Repaired.
At its last meeting the City Council decided to extend the water pipes from the corner at J. C. Nickerson's residence to the limits of the corporation along Sterling avenue; and from John O. Mouton's home to the Methodist church. At the same time the Council ordered the erection of wires so as to provide electric light service to people living in upper Lincoln avenue. The Council has also taken steps to repair the streets, some of which will be shelled. The Council has been enabled to make these improvements out of the general revenues of the town.
We seen in the proceedings published in this paper that the Council has paid a note for $4,000, which was borrowed on the individual signatures of the Councilmen to meet the expenses incurred during the year. The present Councilmen have not only administered the affairs of the municipality in an intelligent and economical manner, but they have shown a high degree of public spirit by giving their personal property as security in order to obtain the necessary funds to meet the current indebtedness of the town. It is safe to say that some of the captious critics who fine fault with the manner of managing the town's business would not do quite as much. Lafayette Gazette 1/11/1902.
Rev. T. K. Funt Le Roy, of Opelousas, will occupy the pulpit at the Methodist Church Sunday in the morning and in the evening.
Laf. Adv. 1/19/1901.
Rev. M. Lyons occupied the pulpit in the Methodist church, last Sunday morning. He was here in regard to the building of a parsonage for the presiding elder of this conference, in Lafayette. The intention is, if the money can be raised, to build a house that will cost from $1,500 to $2,000, which will be the permanent home of the presiding elder. We sincerely hope that the needed amount will be raised, and the parsonage built, for it would insure our town of always having the family of the presiding elder with us.
Lafayette Advertiser 2/4/1893.
Divine services at Methodist Church every Sunday at 11 a. m., and 7:30 p. m. C. C. Wier, Pastor. Laf. Adv. 4/6/1901.
Ice Cream Festival. - Ice cream and cake will be served by the young people of the Methodist church on the lawn of the Masonic Hall Tuesday night. Come out and have a good time. Laf. Adv. 5/17/1902.