Celebration at the Hebrew Cemetery. -
The dedication of the tombstone of Mrs. Soloman Wise of Abbeville, La., who died in the latter city sometime during the past year, and whose remains were then brought to this City for interment, took place last Sunday, January 9, at 11 o'clock.
A great concourse of people had assembled themselves together, to pay this last tribute to one who during her life time was universally known for her integrity and benevolence, and who departed this life, loved and admired by all.
New Iberia, Abbeville, Rayne, Crowley, Washington had sent representatives, testifying more than can do, to the sterling qualities of the deceased.
Dr. Max Heller, of the Temple Sinai, of New Orleans, came of officiate at the solemn and impressive ceremony, according to the Jewish faith and ritual.
The ceremony consisted of prayers and sermon and were delivered both in English and Hebrew.
Lafayette Advertiser 1/15/1898.
Monument to the Memory of Mrs. Soloman Wise.
Sunday last, at the pretty Hebrew Cemetery, of this place, an impressive ceremony was held at the dedication of a beautiful marble monument to the memory of Mrs. Soloman Wise, erected by her husband. Dr. Max Heller, of the Temple Sinai, of New Orleans, conducted the solemn ceremony, which was witnessed by many friends of the deceased, from New Orleans, Abbeville, and other sections of the State who thus attested the esteem in which they held her. The ceremony, which is one of the prettiest in the State, and which is kept up by the Hebrew Church of this section, was donated by the late Gov. Mouton several years ago.
The dedication exercises were begun by a prayer by Dr. Heller, who then delivered a beautiful tribute to the life and character of Mrs. Wise. Rabbi Heller's remarks were most eloquent and simple and brought tears to the eyes of all those present who had known and love her.
Mrs. Wise, nee Fanny Trusklosky, was a native of Poland, having been born at Dzialosyn, December 30, 1828. She was married in 1848 to Mr. Solomon Wise, also a native of Poland. Mr. and Mrs. Wise came to America in 1854, settling at Abbeville, La. Mrs. Wise died at her home in Abbeville February 5, 1897, and was buried in the Hebrew Cemetery in this town. Mrs. Wise left four children, all prominent in the social and business circles of the State. Mrs. Bergman, of New Orleans, Mrs. Sokolosky, Isaac and Eli Wise, of Abbeville.
The shaft erected is about twelve feet high, and is a magnificent piece of white granite from the mountains of Tennessee. Lafayette Gazette 1/15/1898.
A Synagogue in Lafayette.
The following telegram explains itself, and in connection with its publication we will state that our Hebrew friends intend this to be a first class ball in every respect. Funds have to be raised for the building of their Synagogue and they have adopted this as one of their means of reaching the general public at the same time giving them the full value of every dollar they may receive -- in real enjoyment. Mr. Weeks is General Manager of the Crescent News Co., leases of the Railroad Hotel.
New Orleans, Jan. 19, 1882.
E. Phillips, Secretary Jewish Congregation.
It will afford us pleasure to grace you the use of our house for your Ball, Feb. 18th.
E. A. WEEKS, General Manager.
Lafayette Advertiser 1/21/1882.
The Hebrew Ball. As will be seen elsewhere in this issue, our Hebrew friends have made the preliminary arrangements for their ball on the 18th of February. The several committees are composed of some of our best citizens, who in matters of this kind "know no creed," and have never been known to be laggards when the good of any one class of our people is in question. For the benefit of those who don't know, we will state that the room in which the ball is to take place is not inferior to any in the State for dancing purposes, in fact a glance at it will satisfy the most aesthetic that it is specially adapted to the uses of the Terpsichorean art. Its dimensions are ample, -- the floor is superb, and we are assured that music of no mean order will be had for the occasion. Lafayette Advertiser 1/28/1882.