Follow by Email

Monday, January 12, 2015

**JULY 21ST M I

From the Advertiser of July 21st, 1894:  





THE 14th OF JULY CELEBRATION. 


The threatening weather prevented many from attending the celebration last Saturday, but it was a grand social success and not a financial failure. 

 At 9 o'clock in the morning, responding to the sweet strains of music by the bands, the people congregated at the court house square; about twenty vehicles were soon occupied, a procession formed and the march began to the Park.

 Some of the wagons were tastefully decorated; American and French flags were unfurled to the breeze, side by side, and the parade, which was an interesting sight.

 Beausejour Park one mile distant, is one of the loveliest spots in this section. The waters of the Vermilion bayou wind their way lazily to the Gulf; the large shady trees, the sloping hills, the gurgling spring, the green grass - all presented a scene beautiful to behold as is the picnicker's paradise. Then Major Mouton had erected a dancing platform, swings and otherwise ornamented the place for the accommodation and pleasure of visitors.

 Many spent the day there in a pleasant way; others went in the afternoon, and after 5 o'clock the crowd was considerably augmented when the business houses had been closed.

 The evening was pleasant; everybody, old and young, seemed to be in good humor. Papas and mamas were indulgent, girls light hearted and the boys gallant.

 And the children, grown ones too, kept those swings a-going at a rapid rate to their hearts content. Those people who are afraid for children to be out of doors and romp and frolic should have been out last Saturday.

 Some danced, some played, some talked, others walked while the various bands furnished music to cheer them.

 Light refreshments were served and the gross receipts amounted to about $180. In behalf of the Committee we thank Maj. Mouton for the use of the grounds, the Patin, Scott and Five Landry bands for music, also  those who loaned wagons, ice-cream freezers and otherwise contributed to the success of the celebration. Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.

 




NOTICE OF REMOVAL. 

 The ADVERTISER will occupy its new and commodious quarters in the Advertiser Building, next Monday, the 23rd. inst. We extend a standing invitation to friends and patrons to call on us at our new home as often as it will suit their pleasure, or convenience.

 In our new location we will do better prepared than ever to do first class commercial Printing and Job Work of every description. Our promptness in executing orders in the past, and our reasonable charges, is continually adding to the volume of work turned out by the Job Office of the Advertiser. Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.


Cane Wagon. - Mr. J. Nickerson is getting up a new style of cane wagon, which he claims, on a half to three of a mile haul, he can save one third of team and work, one third of manual labor, consequently it will save one third of the usual expenses of the ordinary wagon, or cart, in hauling and delivering cane on the cars ready for shipping.
 

At Falk's Hall. - A Stereoptician show will be given at Falk's Hall to-night at which Scenes of the World's Fair will be presented. If the show is as good as advertised (and we have no reason to doubt it) we don't doubt that it will be well worth the price of admission. Shows of this kind are instructive, interesting and amusing.
 Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.



"PLAY BALL!"
 Weather permitting, the home nine will cross bats with the Carencro nine to-morrow evening, as announced in THE ADVERTISER last Saturday. It will be an interesting game of base-ball, we have no doubt that a large crowd of friends and sympathizers will be on hand to witness it. The boys will play on the diamond in front of Mrs. Paul Castel's property.


VISIT IT.
 We had the pleasure of visiting the Railroad Photograph Car this week, and was agreeably surprised to find the different departments so elegantly finished and neatly arranged. The beautiful little parlor is at the service of visitors. The walls are graced with specimen photographs of people of Shreveport, Alexandria, Opelousas and other places where they did an immense amount of work.

 The young gentlemen of this Art Company are courteous and kind; anxious please, and their prices are low, for such excellent work as they do.

 We would suggest that parents take their children to see the Car and the specimens of art, even if they desire no work; and they should not delay, for these traveling artists will remain here but a short time. Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.







Selected News Notes 7/21/1894. 


Fine rains have fallen the past week, for which we should all be thankful. 

 Mr. George Guidry went to Rayne this week.

 To-night and to-morrow night see the World's Fair Panorama views at Falk's Opera House. 


 The Times-Democrat, N. O. Picayune and Houston Post are on sale every day at Moss Bros. & Co.

 Mr. Henri Gerac made a flying trip to New Iberia, Monday.

 Mr. Hebert Mouton went to Broussardville, Sunday. 


 Mr. Onez. Badon of Breaux Bridge was a visitor in town Tuesday.

 Don't fail to visit the Palace R. R. Photo car while they are here, and have your photo taken. They are the finest you ever saw and are so cheap, only $1.50 per dozen. Car near depot. 


 Mrs. Alma and Lou McBride accompanied by Miss Rosa Laws, returned home Monday from Franklin.

 Miss Ada Waters and Mrs. E. J. Sullivan and two children are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Biossat since Wednesday.

 Miss Mamie Bowen, sister of Judge Bowen, was seriously ill in the beginning of the week, but is reported as being much better now.


 Those Milk Shakes and Sherberts served at the Moss Pharmacy are perfectly delicious.

 
Misses Alice and Ida Mouton left Wednesday for a visit to the home of their father, Hon. Ambroise Mouton, at Lake Arthur.

 Mrs. Baullard returned to her home in Galveston last Sunday, after a pleasant stay of two weeks at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Walter J. Mouton. People from the country and neighboring.

 We have been informed that a bad mud hole a short distance from "Pont de Mouton" in Lafayette Parish, is sadly in need of attention from the road overseer. 


 Mr. G. E. VanHofe, an expert piano tuner of New Orleans, will be in Lafayette soon, and those who need his services will please be kind enough to send their names to this office.

 The Guidry Bakery is in good shape once more and has been running to its fullest capapcity for several days past. Dr. Guidry does not look for a break down soon again, the defects that developed in the oven lately, having been thoroughly remedied.


  Married. - Mr. J. A. Chargois to Mrs. Cornela McBride, Rev. T. S. Randle officiating. We extend our congratulations to the contracting parties flinging the proverbial slipper, and wish them a full measure of happiness and prosperity.

 Tom Hines, employed as Brakeman on the T. & N. O. local between Beaumont and Houston, was run over last Saturday and terribly mangled and died from the effects of his injuries. Tom was well known in railway circles. He leaves a wife and child to mourn his untimely death. 


 THE ADVERTISER will render all the aid which it is capable, to the Ladies' fire organization of Lafayette, whenever it may be called on to do so. The ladies should be accorded every possible encouragement in their most laudable effort.

 Messrs. Henry Pierre and Felix Gerac have purchased the interest of the cotton gin owned by the late Edmond Pellerin, and the firm will be H. Gerac and Bros. Patrons will receive the best attention and all the advantages heretofore offered by the old firm.

Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.





LAGNIAPPE:
NEW YORK'S KINDLING WOOD.


Of a Kind That Is Peculiar to Hard Coal Cities.

 Forty years ago when a citizen wanted wood for household uses he bought it by the cord. With the cartman came a man with a sawbuck and a bucksaw who sawed and split the wood on the sidewalk and carried it into the cellar. About thr year 1855 there was invented a machine for splitting wood into kindlings. This machine was a modification of the old match machine. The use of this machine so extended the business of manufacturing kindling wood that at the outbreak of the civil war in 1861, three-quarters of the kindling wood used in New York was being sawed and split in the wood yards. At that time, also, manufacturers had just begun to put kindling wood up into bundles or bunches. The primary reason for this was to put unsold split wood into more compact shape to store. The many advantages of putting up wood in bundles for the market became, however, at once apparent. In this shape wood could be retailed in small portions, and it made a package convenient to handle, which could be sold out of any grocery like any other necessity.

 During the war there was almost a wood famine in New York. The supply of Virginia pine wood, the wood principally used here, was practically cut off; it sold up to fifteen dollars a cord by the cargo. During that period the bundle trade did not grow very much. After the war the entire kindling wood industry took a great start upward and grew rapidly. In 1870 there were probably sixty firms engaged in the manufacture of kindling wood sold in bulk or in bundles. The bundle trade was then increased largely. There were at that time remaining in the city only two or three yards in which cordwood was sold. In 1870 appeared, following closely the building of the first apartment houses, the oil stove and not long afterward the gas stove. The gas stove had been before that in somewhat limited use, but it was now applied to the more general householder uses. The use of oil stoves and gas stoves, increased steadily and very largely, and affected very curiously the kindling wood business. The use of oil and gas stoves here is steadily increasing.

 In 1880 the city manufacture of kindling wood began to be affected further by the introduction of bundle wood made from the refuse of spruce and henlock lumber mills. These mills are numerous in Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York, this state furnishing a large proportion of the bundles used. This wood is put up at the mills and shipped here by the car load, and from the cars distributed by trucks to grocers and other dealers. That has now largely taken the place of the Virginia pine bundle packed in this city. More than fifty per cent, of the bundles used here now come from the mills. Of all the kindling wood that is sold in this city about half is sold in bulk and about half in bundles. Nearly all the kindling wood  sold in bulk is of Virginia pine. The standard length in which this is cut eight inches; it is sold at thirteen dollars a cord and in any quantity from one-eighth of a cord up. The bundle wood is usually cut two and a half or three inches in length, and the ordinary sized bundle is diameter. It retails at two cents a bundle. The consumption of the bundle wood in this city is the spruce and hemlock bundles, about two hundred thousand bundles daily and of the Virginia pine bundles about two hundred thousand daily.

 While the growth of the kindling wood business has been retarded for the reasons stated, the increase in population has been so great that the business has actually increased in volume, and more kindling wood is sold here now than ever. The use of Virginia pine wood, however, is decreasing slightly as the is the city manufacture of kindling wood. But the kindling-wood business is nevertheless, a very large and active business here. There are now about twenty factories in the city as against sixty in 1870, but while their number has so materially decreased there are now more large establishments. The kindling wood factories of the city use engines aggregating about one thousand five hundred horse power, and employ about two thousand people, men and boys. The total value of all the kindling wood consumed in this city, reckoned at wholesale prices, is about ten thousand dollars daily.

 There are engaged in the business of bringing Virginia wood to this city about one hundred schooners employed in the wood business twenty years ago; about half of them are three-masters. Almost all of the wood accessible from the rivers and almost all the original growth from near water courses has been cut. At least half of the wood now brought here is cut back from the water and brought to river landings by railroad.

 Kindling wood or kindling material of some sort is used almost everywhere, but kindling wood such as this is used here is only where anthracite coal is burned. A New York manufacturer of kindling wood searched for two days in London without finding anybody in the business. A rich London householder said that he had kept house for nearly and had never paid a penny for kindling wood. The sweepings of the house, splinters and scraps from boxes and crates with a little paper would suffice to ignite the coal used there. Of the world's great cities New York is the only one using practically none but anthratic coal. There are in this country, taking them all together, many cities and towns that burn hard coal and use substantial kindling wood, but this city is much the greatest of all consumers, and here naturally is the home of kindling wood in its highest development.

From the New York Sun and in the Lafayette Advertiser 7/21/1894.        



contact vermilionville@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment